Friday, April 8, 2011

Everyday Troubles

I expected to have been working on an original song and have it almost done by now, but I ran into lots of trouble yesterday. It's hard to get angry or frustrated about it now, because it seems too typical now and I've grown used to it. The day started off normally enough, I met up with Donkeybeatz and we talked about projects. I told him what I'd be working on, which is a song called "Everything". I had been working on it for a long time, and it actually started years ago.

Since it was an older project, the project files were stored on an older hard drive, so all I had to do was find that hard drive, plug it in, and pull off the old files. Sounds simple enough, and I guarantee that in most people's lives, it really would have been simple. I generally don't label my old hard drives, so I had a lot of searching to do. After an hour or two of ripping my room apart searching for it, I finally had a stack of hard drives to test. I sat there, testing each one patiently, some of them requiring me to restart my computer. I got to the last hard drive, and it caused my computer to freeze on the post screen while booting up.



"Big deal," I thought to myself, I'd just unhook the hard drive and my computer would go back to normal. Wrong. The computer wouldn't even post after that. I've had jobs as a computer technician, so I know how to troubleshoot. And that's exactly what I did. a few hours later, after having basically taken apart the computer and back together again a few times, I was ready to give up. As a last ditch desperation move, I took out the CMOS battery and unplugged the computer for a while. Then when I started it back up, it worked. Magically.



After all that trouble and energy, I hooked up the hard drive that I logically deduced must contain the files I needed. And it was dead. So the song I had been working on all these years is gone. I suppose it's my own fault, I should have backed it up on something more reliable, or taken better care of my old hard drives. Just let this be a lesson to all of you reading this.

We will be doing this song regardless, from scratch. Maybe it'll turn out even better, who knows. Keep following us, and maybe you can hear it sometime soon!

10 comments: